Elk Rolled Meatloaf Recipe by Chef Rob Kinneen
By: Shannon Kuhn | 9 October, 2013 | 999 Views
By Chef Rob Kinneen of Crush and Fresh 49. Chef Rob recommends serving with roasted potatoes and wilted spinach.
2.5 lbs AK Ground Elk Meat OR AK Beef
2.5 lbs Local pork-ground
16 oz bread crumbs
20 oz 1% milk
3 oz tomato paste
2 oz fresh parsley
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 TBL peeled garlic
1 lb yellow onion
1 lb carrot
.5 lb parsnips
1 lb broccoli crowns
1 lb shredded pepperjack cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix the bread crumbs, milk, tomato past, herbs, black pepper and garlic. Set aside.
2. Roast the onion, carrots, parsnip and blanch broccoli. Cool down and robot coupe-ROUGH CHOP, set aside.
3. Mix bread crumb mix to the meat by hand.
4. Set up sheet pan with plastic wrap covering bottom
5. Spread meat on pan covering ¾ of the sheet pan. Leave 3” of the upper side of the sheet pan unfilled.
6. Spread veggies over the meat about 1” off from all edges, then sprinkle cheese all over.
7. Pull the plastic from the edges- roll over starting from the top towards the bottom.
8. Transfer to parchment lined sheet pan, placing the folded side down at angle, then secure the paper with a fork. Be sure to remove all plastic from the meatloaf.
9. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
10. Cut at 6 oz portions. Give two 6 oz portions per serving.
ABOUT CHEF ROB:
Born in Petersburg, AK Rob is of Tlingit heritage (Alaskan Native). Working in the industry since the age of 14, he attended the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. After graduation he worked at several prestigious restaurants including NOLA in New Orleans, Pop’s Trattoria and Elaine’s on Franklin in North Carolina. During this time he established his philosophies of sourcing product locally and seasonally. Returning to Alaska, he established a reputation for his loyalty to Alaskan product and community involvement as Chef of the Seven Glaciers restaurant at the Alyeska Resort, Chef/Owner of Noble’s Diner, as Chef de Cuisine at the Crow’s Nest, as Executive Chef of Orso, and Chef at Crush Wine Bistro.
Shannon Kuhn, Co-Founder
Born on the coast of South Korea and raised in Anchorage, Shannon is a lifelong Alaskan with a kimchi twist. She lives to eat adventurously, meet new people, and learn about different cultures and places. She is passionate about reconnecting with her food heritage, as well as the soil it was grown in.